Getting Your Police Report After a Car Accident on a Connecticut Highway

If you have been in a car accident on a Connecticut Highway you need your accident report. However, obtaining that report is not as easy as obtaining a local town police report.

Connecticut has three major highways. Interstate 85, 91, and 95. These highways are patrolled by the state police. If you have an accident on a Connecticut highway getting your police report can be confusing!

At the scene of the accident the police officer will give you a case or report number. This number will be on the first page of the accident report. Typically there will be two reports. A preliminary report, which you may even be able to get at the scene of the accident, and a completed case report. The preliminary report is a summary and will have the names of the parties involved, and insurance information. The completed case report will have more specific information and a detailed description of the accident. The completed case report is what the insurance company wants to read before they will pay for property damage, so it is important to obtain this as soon as possible.

We begin this process by looking up the accident on This site requires specific information regarding the accident such as date of accident, name of one or more parties, and the case report number. There is a $16 fee that must be paid before the report is emailed. If the report is not on this site, and time has passed since the accident happened, our next step is to call the troop assigned to the area where the accident happened. There are eleven troops in Connecticut. They will know where the report is and if it is available. If the report is not at their location, it is likely to be in Middletown at the headquarters of the state police. To obtain a police report from the headquarters one must mail this completed form along with a check or money order for $16.00 to

Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection

Division of State Police

Reports and Records

1111 Country Club Road

Middletown, CT 06457

If this seems like it will take too long, you can request the report in person at the above address Tuesday-Thursday from 9:00 – 2:00.

This is a free service McCoy & McCoy provides to our clients. If you are searching for your Connecticut car accident report contact us for help.

Related Posts

1 Response

Leave a Reply