HOW DO I PROTECT MY RIGHTS AFTER AN ACCIDENT?
Giving Yourself the Best Chances for Ample Compensation
Your chances of being involved in at least one if not more car accidents within your lifetime are very high; therefore, it’s important to know ahead of time what actions you can take to protect your rights after you’re involved in a car accident. In order to avoid the pitfalls of being nervous, scared, confused and visibly shaken, it’s extremely important to become familiar with a few critical steps that can afford you the greatest opportunity to protect your rights after an accident. If you’re involved in an auto accident, please remember the following:
- Never admit fault, even if you believe you are at fault. You could have been entirely in the right but if you admitted you were at fault to the other driver, their insurance company can use that against you down the road and it can make collecting compensation more difficult.
- Don’t accept cash from the other driver in lieu of filing a police report and an insurance claim because your medical expenses and property damage could ultimately wind up being far more than your deductible.
- Don’t let the other driver get away without obtaining their identifying information such as their license plate number, driver’s license number, contact information, insurance information and address. If you let them get away without exchanging identifying information, your chances of filing an insurance claim with their insurance carrier are non-existent.
- Be sure to call the police to the scene and have them fill out an accident report. Having an accident report generally ensures that the claims process goes faster.
- Never leave the scene of an accident without checking for injuries, calling an ambulance when needed, and exchanging identifying information with the other driver. If you leave the scene of an accident you are essentially breaking the law and face criminal prosecution.
Contact McCoy & McCoy After a Hartford Car Accident
After seeking medical help for any injuries, contact a Hartford car accident attorney from McCoy & McCoy right away. Having a personal injury attorney by your side from the onset is the best insurance you can have. With our help we can ensure that your legal rights are protected and we will fight aggressively to pursue maximum financial compensation from the at-fault driver’s auto insurance carrier or in the case of an uninsured/underinsured motorist claim, we will fight for maximum compensation under your own auto insurance policy.